Hello friends, lovers and strangers!!!
Last year was not great for blogging and i think i'm still slacking this year. I actually have lost my blogging mojo but i'm going to start working to get it back. By fire, by force i must continue to blog.
I can't believe i am finally done with med school. People who have been reading for a while know when i started. It's all in my blog archives, feel free to dig through. I had multiple hiccups along the way, health issues, academic issues but i made it. I made it!!! It's slowly sinking in.
On match day, after my name was called, i went up to the podium and collected my envelope (my school doesn't make you read it aloud), i opened it and saw i matched in my first choice, I was just like oh! okay. No excitement,nothing. I ranked 20 programs in all and my first choice was always my first choice. Towards the deadline, i was wondering if i should make my second choice number one, but i didn't. I changed my rank order list at least 10 times, but i never changed my first choice. So you would think i would be excited, but it was just blah.
Then i started calling family and friends and they were all screaming excited, that's when i started becoming a bit excited. I've always suffered from delayed reaction. LOL. People always assume American medical graduates have it easy in terms of matching into residency, but things are changing. A good number of people did not match in my school this year. I think it's the highest number ever. The number of medical graduates are increasing, but residency spots are still the same. It's tough but i'll admit it's still tougher for foreign grads, although one of my friends who went to med school in naija matched into Emory for surgery this year. Whether people want to hear this or not, knowing people in a program helps. I thought that only existed in naija but that's not true.
I've decided to turn over a new blog leaf. I'm going to do my best to respond to comments and i promised a blog reader not to swear any more on my blog...lol (i think it's getting better). I'm also going to work on my blog list that way i can start reading blogs again. If you have a blog you want me to add to my list, leave a comment, otherwise, i will start blog hopping and adding blogs.
I'm enjoying this free time, my brain is still in fight or flight mode, so i'm trying hard to relax. Within the last week, I caught up on Downton Abbey, started and finished Being Mary Jane and House of Cards. House of Cards??!!!! OMG, that evil Francis. I'm about to start Empire. I'm still on season one of Scandal, i'll watch that next. I'm enjoying my painting class. I was supposed to take Drawing II, but it was cancelled last minute, so i was bumped up to Painting I, even though Drawing I and II are prerequisites for Painting I. Painting requires a lot more patience than drawing. It frustrates me, but it's a good escape.
After everything is said and done, i'll gist you guys about my last rotation. Enjoy the rest of the week, people.
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Hello friends, lovers and strangers!!!
I matched into my first choice for residency
Everyone else is more excited than me
It's slowly sinking in
My program is in this gorgeous little city
I fell in love when i went there to interview
I'm looking forward to living there.
I'm the only melanin-rich resident in the entire program
I'm used to the minority thing
thanks to med school.
Come July 1st
someone is actually going to expect me to be a Doctor?!
It's too soon for me to be freaking out about it
so i'm still chilling
So for now, if someone passes out and they say
"is there a doctor around?"
I will be looking around just like everyone else.
I'm working on losing weight for that yet to be bought graduation dress.
I actually have to buy two dresses.
We have a hooding ceremony and a commencement ceremony
Thou shalt not be fat in graduation pictures
14lbs down, many more to go!
We celebrated at an Indian restaurant yesterday
where all thoughts of a diet were temporarily forgotten,
As i downed two sweet mango Lassis
and scarfed multiple chicken naan with chicken tikka masala
I'll worry about really learning how to read EKGs
sometime in the future
before July 1st
Monday, March 2, 2015
What's worse than having free time,
being unable to relax?
This is what the elders would call
I tire for myself.
Match day apprehension is not helping matters
Can anyone recommend naija movies?
I like movies set in the village that are funny
No aki and pawpaw things
It would be highly appreciated
I have so much things i could be doing with my free time
but no peace of mind to do it.
The whole last day of med school things
was pretty anticlimactic
I don't know what i'm doing with my life
to be honest
i remain thankful.
i remain thankful.
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Toke Makinwa needs to come and give this one lessons on how to make vlogs that make sense. This is a perfect example of good packaging but nothing upstairs. Serious intellectual deficiency is worrying this one. I don't know where bellanaija found him from, but him and his opinion are a big NO as far as i'm concerned. Just spewing garbage, can't even articulate his point. Jesus be some sense let me wack him on the head with it. Yes, don't bleach to please a man, but every other thing he said is OP. Which one is "men like bobi, big yansh".................smh.
Wednesday, February 4, 2015
Too much is going on.
I'm on plastic surgery and my patience is already being tested....
by other med students on the team
Add that to the long crazy hours and
actually having to be in the OR
Tomorrow, i'm on an 8 hour long case......
Looking forward to Feb 27th.
My last day on this rotation
my last day as a med student!
Let's let that sink in.
What are you guys up to?
Who don marry, who don born, who dey come and who dey go?
I haven't been reading blogs.
I really hope this month flies by.
I hate surgery!
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
- Follow me on Instagram @naijascorpio.......I miss you guys. There was someone I used to interact with a lot, I can't for the life of me remember who the person was. A female blogger, I think. Who was the person who asked me where I went on vacation last year and I dM'ed you?
- Shines brightly, I don't miss you but u can follow me if you like.
- I have two more Peds ED shifts left for this month. Yay! I actually enjoyed this rotation. Sick Kids are not so bad after all.
- Then I'm off to Atlanta GA, Montgomery AL and Orlando FL next week.
- My previous post was inspired by one of my secondary school best friends who recently got married and is now "very worried" about my single status because she wants me to be happy.
- She is one of the less than handful of people who can get away with that sort of conversation You only get one chance to do that with me and she has used hers. I tolerated the conversation very well because I know her well enough to know she was coming from a good place.
- But the repetitive "is it you?" Would have gotten someone else killed.
- After she had finished, she started telling me not to worry. Dude, I wasn't worried, you started the conversation. People like this are the ones who can start to make someone worried.
- Abeg, auntie free me o!
- I couldn't resist pointing out the fact that she was talking as if I could just go to the market and purchase a husband.
- When she suggested that I go to church to find "that kind of man", that's where my patience ran out. I did not hesitate to tell her not to go there.
- She knows me well enough to back off and say, okay let's forget that side. Lol...I'm such a heathen.
- I really do not want a churchy religious man. I wouldn't be able to stand it.
- I am not wallowing in sin and debauchery. I live a very tame life. I just can't stand religion.
- I was recently asked when updating my insurance info what my religion was and for the first time I said "nothing". I have been feeling uncomfortable whenever I say I'm a Christian in the past. So right now I am a student of the world.
- I still wear my buddist prayer beads daily. It has become a talisman of sorts. It reminds me to practice mindfulness.
- Different strokes for different folks.
- I've become a huge fan of Mercy Johnson. She is such a GREAT actress. For the first time in my life, a Naija movie made me cry. I was shocked at myself. This was a movie I initially did not even want to watch. Mad Couple. There was a scene in part 2 that was very touching. Maybe I'm just a romantic or I was hormonal but real tears were shed by moi.
- I love Mercy! She and her clingy cloths. Thankfully, she has the body for it. God blessed her sha! Lol.
- I'm debating whether to braid my hair but I had sworn off braids thanks to the traction alopecia it left me with but I don tire for wigs, no be only me waka come.